Addis Ababa, Ethiopia
This position is open for National and International applicants. And it is on rolling base recruitment.
Oxfam is a global movement of people working together to end the injustice of poverty.
Lead the design, implementation, management, and coordination of effective and appropriate large-scale humanitarian interventions. This includes country humanitarian strategic management, representation, coordination, programme management, advocacy, and programme support at senior levels.
Strategic Management and Leadership
- Coordinate projects implemented by Oxfam and partners as part of the East Africa Food Crisis Response Program
- Lead the Management Team in the overall planning and strategic management of Oxfam – East Africa Food Crisis Response in the Somali Region of Ethiopia
- Within and beyond the Somali region, develop and maintain a network for Humanitarian actors and issues. Represent Oxfam to donors and diplomatic missions and communicate Oxfam public policy and advocacy positions as and when appropriate to institutions, government, international, UN national, and local organizations as required.
- Participate in resource mobilization and negotiation of appropriate resources in collaboration with the Humanitarian Program Manager and Oxfam Grants and Funding Manager.
- Maintain an analysis of the humanitarian context in the Somali region and beyond and use this to inform interventions
Humanitarian Preparedness, Response, and Programme Management
- Lead East Africa Food Crisis Response Programme design and development of appropriate contingency plans, and related preparedness and mitigation strategies, including capacity building initiatives, to ensure Oxfam’s humanitarian mandate can be met at all times.
- Ensure relevant Oxfam partners have updated humanitarian contingency plans and that key staff is trained on the same.
- Before humanitarian crises, lead the preparedness process in Somali and beyond by ensuring that well-trained human resources are always ready to act, and material resources are pre-positioned in strategic locations.
Programme Management and Response
- Provide strategic and effective leadership in pulling together Oxfam’s humanitarian response and any scale-up of the same: this includes but is not limited to coordination within Oxfam nationally, regionally, and globally on humanitarian issues but also to take or ensure an appropriate leading coordination role in the overall national/local response as can be expected with regards to Oxfam’s size and technical expertise.
- Manage and take the lead on the strategic development of the ongoing East Africa Food crisis response programme in Ethiopia and the Emergency Preparedness and Response Team, serving affected people annually within WASH, Emergency Food Security & Livelihoods; gender and protection.
- Represent Oxfam’s inappropriate humanitarian and East Africa Food crisis for in the Somali region, other Neighbouring regions, and at the national level with government authorities, UN organizations, NGOs, private sector, and donor agencies.
- Maintain and further develop Oxfam’s existing network of key humanitarian contacts nationally, regionally, and globally.
- Raise the profile of East Africa’s Food crisis context and Oxfam’s programmes through participation in the Somali region and other Neighbouring and national humanitarian and at senior levels.
- Influence and advocate on East Africa Food crisis issues through media, communications, and key meetings, alone and together with others as appropriate.
What we are looking for
What we are looking for is a candidate who cares about Oxfam’s mission to end poverty and is personally aligned to the values of empowerment, accountability, and inclusion in all you do and our feminist principles.
Educational Qualifications and Skills Required:
- Degree or higher from a recognized University/college in Public Health Engineering, Civil Engineering, Agricultural Economics, Community Development, or any other related area that can bring added value to the job.
- Relevant experience of 7 years and more including budgeting, planning, programme cycle management, preferably in an international NGO/operational UN agency/equivalent, out of which at least 5 years should be supervisory/team leader/managerial experience.
- Extensive experience in large-scale humanitarian programming at the senior level and humanitarian management in complex, insecure environments.
- At least two years of experience preferably in the emergency response especially in leading, designing, coordination and fundraising.
- Extensive experience in the management of the WASH program
- Knowledge and understanding of Oxfam WASH and Emergency Food Security and Livelihoods programming in emergencies, humanitarian response, complex emergencies, conflict resolution, and international humanitarian law.
- Experience in implementing gendered humanitarian interventions and mainstreaming protection in humanitarian interventions.
- Excellent communicator with strong written and reporting skills, and an excellent ability to influence verbally to persuade with diplomacy and tact.
- Ability to work cooperatively in a cross-cultural setting with a number of long-distance working relationships across time zones.
- Experience in fast-paced and difficult emergency contexts.
- Adaptable in approach to work with a willingness to work under pressure in a demanding environment.
- Initiative and motivation to work independently and within a team context and develop solutions to problems. Highly flexible in style with the ability to produce creative and pragmatic solutions to complex problems.
- Proven ability to work with multi-million budgets mobilized from a diverse range of donors, including monitoring and evaluation, and reporting.
- A proven record of effective and complex management in a humanitarian response including managing budgets, staff, and funding of the programme. This is to include excellent people management skills, a good understanding of team development, and proven financial management skills.
- Proven ability to work creatively, innovatively, and effectively with limited direct supervision.
- Proven experience as a team worker and demonstrably co-operate with members of the teams.
- To be familiar with and abide by the NGO/Red Cross Code of Conduct, the People in Aid Code, Oxfam International procedures, and other regulatory codes (e.g., CHS and sphere)
- Commitment to humanitarian principles and actions.
This role will allow you to act as a key contributor to our work of supporting those most in need. You will also have a chance to work in a fast-paced, dynamic, and internationally-focused environment and we offer fair pay and competitive benefits package
We believe flexible working is key to building the Oxfam of the future, so we’re open to talking through the type of flexible arrangements which might work for you. We think this role would work particularly well as a partially home-based role or job share.
Our values and commitment to safeguarding
Oxfam is committed to preventing any type of unwanted behaviour at work including sexual harassment, exploitation and abuse, lack of integrity and financial misconduct; and committed to promoting the welfare of children, young people, adults and beneficiaries with whom Oxfam GB engages. Oxfam expects all staff and volunteers to share this commitment through our code of conduct. We place a high priority on ensuring that only those who share and demonstrate our values are recruited to work for us.
The post holder will undertake the appropriate level of training and is responsible for ensuring that they understand and work within the safeguarding policies of the organisation.
All offers of employment will be subject to satisfactory references and appropriate screening checks, which can include criminal records and terrorism finance checks. Oxfam GB also participates in the Inter Agency Misconduct Disclosure Scheme. In line with this Scheme, we will request information from job applicants’ previous employers about any findings of sexual exploitation, sexual abuse and/or sexual harassment during employment, or incidents under investigation when the applicant left employment. By submitting an application, the job applicant confirms his/her understanding of these recruitment procedures.
We are committed to ensuring diversity and gender equality within our organisation and encourage applicants from diverse backgrounds to apply.
How to apply
How to apply
As part of your online application, please upload your up-to-date CV and a covering letter explaining your suitability against the essential criteria in the job profile through www.ethiojobs.net or using Oxfam’s internal /External application portal https://jobs.oxfam.org.uk / or https://jobs.oxfam.org.uk/vacancy/17309/description on or before June 12, 2022.
Oxfam is a global community who believe poverty isn’t inevitable. It’s an injustice that can be overcome. We are shop volunteers, women’s right activists, marathon runners, aid workers, coffee farmers, street fundraisers, goat herders, policy experts, campaigners, water engineers and more. And we won’t stop until everyone can live life without poverty for good.
Oxfam GB is a member of international confederation of 21 organisations working together with partners and local communities in the areas of humanitarian, development and campaigning, in more than 90 countries.
A thriving diverse Oxfam:
It’s people power that brings about change. To play our part as a global organisation working to overcome poverty and inequality, we need equality, diversity and inclusion across our community of staff, partners and volunteers. Together, we’re committed to becoming a more diverse workforce, better able to tackle the global challenges that face our world today.
To do that:
- We need to dismantle the unequal power structures that exist everywhere, this including Oxfam and the wider development and charity sectors.
- We need an inclusive Oxfam where everyone can bring who they are to our work and feels celebrated for the differences they bring.
- We want and need everyone, and that means we need you.
In response to Covid-19 if you are offered a role where you are required to travel between countries please ensure you have been briefed by the Hiring Manager about any changes to working or precautions you should take as part of your role.
For job details and to apply follow: Apply Now