Research Associate II – Data Systems – Vacancy Ethiopia
Addis Ababa, Ethiopia
International Livestock Research Institute (ILRI)
Research Associate II – Data Systems
- 13 Jun 2022
- Addis Ababa, Ethiopia
- Feed and Forages Development
Position Announcement – Internal/External
Research Associate II – Data Systems
Feed and Forage Development Program
30 May 2022
The Position: The International Livestock Research Institute (ILRI) seeks to recruit a Research Associate II who will assist Genebank Database Management Specialist, specifically to respond to data related demands of different units of the genebank; including preparation of working files, development of new formats, automation of work flows, digitizing of documents, data quality works and other related assignments.
General: The International Livestock Research Institute (ILRI) works to improve food and nutritional security and reduce poverty in developing countries through research for efficient, safe and sustainable use of livestock. It is the only one of 15 CGIAR research centers dedicated entirely to animal agriculture research for the developing world. Co-hosted by Kenya and Ethiopia, it has regional or country offices and projects in East, South and Southeast Asia as well as Central, East, Southern and West Africa. www.ilri.org.
Main duties and responsibilities:
- Support genebank staffs on germplasm data related needs
- Assist in preparation of database related working files
- Assist genebank technician in preparation of barcode labels
- Capture and document seed images for uploading to other platforms such as GRIN-Global and Genesys
- Liaise with Marvin company technicians to fully set up the required Marvin configurations at the Genebank
- Develop relevant characterization data collection template for various forage species as need arise
- Compile and organize existing characterization data, for uploading to Genesys and GRIN Global
- Assist in digitizing key genebank documents that are still available in hard copies and curate them.
- Work closely with genebank units and the Genebank Database Management Specialist, in the development of relevant mobile app and web services
- Assist in automation of genebank data entry and retrieval
- Support genebank data management workflows by providing interoperable platform
- Assist in data quality control activities
- Any other data assistance related tasks as assigned by the supervisor.
Academic and professional qualifications:
- BSc in Biology, Botany, Plant Science, or any other related field.
- Diploma in Information Technology or Certificate in Computer Applications with other advanced IT courses.
- A minimum of 2 years of experience working on plant science related databases
- A good knowledge in plant science data collection, curation and retrieval
- A good knowledge in computer application, office products, web portal and digital equipment
- Ability to detect and resolve problems or deficiencies in the computer system in data management systems
- Interest and ability to work in a multidisciplinary and multi-cultural environment.
- Proficiency with written and spoken English.
- Ability to work under minimum supervision
Duty Station: Addis Ababa, Ethiopia
Grade: HG 11
Minimum Monthly Base Salary: Birr 22,207 (negotiable depending on salary history of the candidate).
Terms of appointment: This is a National Staff (NS) position, initial appointment is for three years with the possibility of renewal, contingent upon individual performance and the availability of funding. The ILRI remuneration package for nationally recruited staff in Ethiopia includes a very competitive salary and benefits such as life and medical insurance, offshore pension plan, etc. The ILRI campus is set in a secure, attractive campus in Addis Ababa. Dining and sports facilities are located on site.
Applications: Applicants should provide a cover letter and curriculum vitae; names and addresses (including telephone and email) of three referees who are knowledgeable about the candidate’s professional qualifications and work experience to be included in the curriculum vitae. The position and reference number: REF: RA/DS/15/22 should be clearly indicated in the subject line of the cover letter. All applications to be submitted online on our recruitment portal: http://ilri.simplicant.com/ on or before 13 June 2022.
For job details and to apply follow: Apply Now