Addis Ababa, Ethiopia
International Organization for Migration (IOM) – Ethiopia
Position: Senior Movement Operations Manager
Job Time: Full-Time
Job Type: Contract
Place of Work: Addis Ababa, Ethiopia
Application Deadline: June, 15/2022
IOM is committed to a diverse and inclusive work environment. Read more about diversity and inclusion at IOM at www.iom.int/diversity.
Applications are welcome from first- and second-tier candidates, particularly qualified female candidates as well as applications from the non-represented member countries of IOM. For all IOM vacancies, and applications from qualified and eligible first-tier candidates are considered before those of qualified and eligible second-tier candidates in the selection process.
For the purpose of this vacancy, the following are considered first-tier candidates:
1. Internal candidates
2. External female candidates:
3. Candidates from the following non-represented member states:
Antigua and Barbuda; Aruba (Netherlands); Botswana; Cabo Verde; Comoros; Congo (the); Cook Islands; Cuba; Curaçao; Fiji; Grenada; Guinea-Bissau; Guyana; Holy See; Iceland; Kingdom of Eswatini; Kiribati; Lao People’s Democratic Republic (the); Latvia; Libya; Madagascar; Marshall Islands; Micronesia (the Federated States of); Montenegro; Namibia; Nauru; Palau; Saint Kitts and Nevis; Saint Lucia; Saint Vincent and the Grenadines; Samoa; Sao Tome and Principe; Seychelles; Solomon Islands; Suriname; The Bahamas; Timor-Leste; Tonga; Tuvalu; Vanuatu
Second tier candidates include:
All external candidates, except candidates from non-represented member states of IOM and female candidates.
Since the inception of IOM in 1951, Movement Operations have been and continue to be a fundamental pillar of the Organization’s work. The organized movement of persons in need of international migration assistance is a primary mandate of the Organization and a cornerstone of IOM’s operations. This mandate has resulted in the international transport of more than 15 million migrants and refugees worldwide. Movement Operations departments in various IOM missions, coordinated under the division of Resettlement and Movement Management (RMM) in the Department of Operations and Emergencies (DOE) at IOM’s Geneva Headquarters, is responsible for all aspects of travel for migrants and refugees under IOM’s auspices, in accordance with the various framework agreements with resettlement and receiving Governments and partners across the spectrum of the Organization’s programs.
Under the general supervision of the Head of Special Liaison Officer, and Chief of Mission IOM/SLO in Addis Ababa and the direct supervision of the Deputy Chief of Mission, the Senior Movement Operations Officer Ethiopia, is responsible for supervising all movement operations activities in Ethiopia, with the following duties and responsibilities:
Core Functions / Responsibilities:
1. Oversee up to seven teams of staff members who are undertaking movement operations activities in the complex operating environment of Ethiopia, including activities related to field support, movements, data processing and compliance. Support staff development processes such as hiring, providing training, assigning duties and giving feedback to staff members on their performance on a regular basis to ensure high-quality work and the accurate completion of activities.
2. Oversee the efficient and effective management of airport services for arriving and departing individuals, including in relation to documentation, luggage, escorts and special services. Ensure staff deliver the highest quality service, interact appropriately with airport and government officials and handle urgent issues as they occur. Monitor the work schedule, validate hours and process relevant financial paperwork in coordination with the IOM finance department.
3. Oversee staff as they assist individuals at transit centers or third-party facilities. Monitor the weekly shift schedule, ensuring coverage is adequate to maintain a professional, safe, secure and clean environment; address issues as they arise and continually seek ways in which IOM
can improve services. For third-party facilities, regularly conduct checks to ensure accommodation is up to IOM standards. Manage assets and inventories, process financial paperwork, supervise quality control of vendors, and manage the transit center vehicles and related schedules, staff and paperwork, if relevant.
4. Ensure interpretation services are coordinated for individuals at the airport, in transit centers, camps, consolidation points and third-party facilities or during transport by air, ground or water, handling financial paperwork related to interpretation services as needed. Supervise the coordination of transportation from consolidation points, transit centers and third-party facilities, ensuring service providers meet IOM standards. Oversee pre-departure counseling on pre-embarkation procedures and special needs, such as meals, medication, wheelchairs and medical conditions.
5. Oversee the completion of all bookings by Movements staff members in accordance with the Handbook of IOM Tariffs (HIT). Ensure compliance with program-specific SOPs and supervise the distribution of travel information to stakeholders. Oversee the creation of movement data files and oversee Movements staff members as they compile and analyze descriptive statistics. Certify and handle the processing of vendor-incurred costs.
6. Ensure Data Processing staff members are undertaking secure storage of documentation and data in accordance with IOM principles and guidelines and that they are dispatching travel documents and coordinating exit permits and travel documents in a timely manner. Oversee the preparation of regular data mining reports on MiMOSA; advise management on possible issues which need attention and suggest corrective actions.
7. Ensure compliance activities related to project monitoring and evaluation, training, youth services, project reporting, project support and protection are being carried out efficiently and effectively by the Operations Specialist, Compliance and that they are reporting regularly on the work being accomplished, particularly in relation to training of Movement Operations staff members and youth service activities at IOM transit centers.
8. Liaise with airlines on a regular basis and represent the best interest of beneficiaries and clients for competitive fares with the most direct routing. Liaise with other teams and units in IOM Ethiopia and with external partners such as government authorities, relevant embassies, and the United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees (UNHCR). As needed, represent IOM at partner meetings and conferences.
9. Supervise the handling of at-risk and sensitive cases in accordance with IOM’s policies, procedures and guidance in the Movement Management Manual (MMM), including assistance for unaccompanied refugee minors (URMs). Ensure IOM is adequately training staff members on working with at-risk and sensitive cases and is mainstreaming prevention of sexual exploitation and abuse (PSEA) through the awareness and training sessions for staff and service providers.
10. Supervise quality assurance procedures, ensuring checks are being regularly undertaken by staff members and incident reports are being submitted to and responded to in an efficient manner. Prepare statistics and report regularly to the Deputy Chief of Mission on relevant activities. Work to streamline how reports are prepared and presented in order to improve services and ensure data on all procedures is compiled, summarized and presented in a timely manner.
11. Demonstrate a comprehensive understanding of relevant Movement Operations SOPs and Movements-related systems and databases (including iGATOR, MiMOSA, SAR and Amadeus), as well as the ability to remain professional, impartial and unbiased during all interactions with migrants and colleagues per the IOM Code of Conduct and instruction on the prevention of sexual exploitation and abuse (PSEA).
12. Maintain and ensure the confidentiality and integrity of all relevant paperwork in line with standards of conduct and data protection rules. Alert Deputy Chief of Mission or management of any non-compliance to SOPs or codes of conduct by IOM staff members or partners.
13. Perform such other duties as may be assigned.
Required Qualifications and Experience:
Master’s degree in Political or Social Sciences, Development Studies, Human Rights, International Relations, Law, or a related field from an accredited academic institution with seven years of relevant professional experience; or
University degree in the above fields with nine years of relevant professional experience.
Experience in the field of migrants’ assistance with a government or UN agency, or a regional or international organization.
Prior Movement Operations experience, especially in IOM, is highly preferred.
Direct experience in the region an advantage.
Transportation-related and/or management experience is a strong advantage.
Knowledge of IOM’s Movement Operations program implementation and administrative, financial, and business rules and practices is desirable.
Experience in the usage of office software packages (MS Word, Excel, etc.); Knowledge of spreadsheets and data analysis is an added advantage.
Demonstrated proficiency with IGator, MiMOSA, SAR and Amadeus.
Excellent computer skills and a high level of proficiency in spreadsheet and database applications.
Excellent verbal and written and communication skills and ability to effectively communicate with and lead a team.
Ability to work with large, multi-cultural teams in a changing environment, including supervision of a team, directly and remotely.
Good knowledge of UN, IOM, International Organizations and NGO mandates and programmes in migrant’s rights, humanitarian assistance, post-conflict migration and development.
Knowledge of IOM’s Movement Operations program implementation and administrative, financial, and business rules and practices is desirable.
IOM’s official languages are English, French, and Spanish.
External applicants for all positions in the Professional category are required to be proficient in English and have at least a working knowledge of one additional UN Language (French, Spanish, Arabic, Russian or Chinese).
For all applicants, fluency in English is required (oral and written). Working knowledge of French and/or Spanish is an advantage.
The proficiency of language(s) required will be specifically evaluated during the selection process, which may include written and/or oral assessments.
Values – all IOM staff members must abide by and demonstrate these three values:
Inclusion and respect for diversity: respects and promotes individual and cultural differences; encourages diversity and inclusion wherever possible.
Integrity and transparency: maintain high ethical standards and act in a manner consistent with organizational principles/rules and standards of conduct.
Professionalism: demonstrates the ability to work in a composed, competent and committed manner and exercises careful judgment in meeting day-to-day challenges.
Core Competencies – behavioral indicators level 3
Teamwork: develops and promotes effective collaboration within and across units to achieve shared goals and optimize results.
Delivering results: produces and delivers quality results in a service-oriented and timely manner; is action-oriented and committed to achieving agreed outcomes.
Managing and sharing knowledge: continuously seeks to learn, share knowledge and innovate.
Accountability: takes ownership for achieving the Organization’s priorities and assumes responsibility for own action and delegated work.
Communication: encourages and contributes to clear and open communication; explains complex matters in an informative, inspiring and motivational way.
Managerial Competencies – behavioral indicators level 3
Leadership: provides a clear sense of direction, leads by example and demonstrates the ability to carry out the organization’s vision; assists others to realize and develop their potential.
Empowering others & building trust: creates an atmosphere of trust and an enabling environment where staff can contribute their best and develop their potential.
Strategic thinking and vision: works strategically to realize the Organization’s goals and communicates a clear strategic direction.
IOM’s competency framework can be found at this link.
Competencies will be assessed during a competency-based interview.
Internationally recruited professional staff are required to be mobile.
Any offer made to the candidate in relation to this vacancy notice is subject to funding confirmation.
This selection process may be used to staff similar positions in various duty stations.
Recommended candidates endorsed by the Appointments and Postings Board will remain eligible to be appointed in a similar position for a period of 24 months.
The list of NMS countries above includes all IOM Member States which are non-represented in the Professional Category of staff members. For this staff category, candidates who are nationals of the duty station’s country cannot be considered eligible.
The appointment will be subject to certification that the candidate is medically fit for appointment, accreditation, any residency or visa requirements, and security clearances. Subject to certain exemptions, vaccination against COVID-19 will in principle be required for individuals hired on or after 15 November 2021. This will be verified as part of the medical clearance process.
Vacancies close at 23:59 local time Geneva, Switzerland on the respective closing date. No late applications will be accepted.
IOM does not charge a fee at any stage of its recruitment process (application, interview, processing, training or other fees). IOM does not request any information related to bank accounts
How to apply
Interested candidates are invited to submit their applications via PRISM, IOM e-Recruitment system, by 15 June 2022 at the latest, referring to this advertisement.
IOM only accepts duly completed applications submitted through the IOM e-Recruitment system. The online tool also allows candidates to track the status of their applications.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
To see job details and apply click: Apply Now