Addis Ababa, Ethiopia
Food and Agriculture Organization of the United Nations (FAO) -Ethiopia
Natural Resource Management (NRM) Expert
Job Posting: 01/Jun/2022
Closure Date: 16/Jun/2022, 12:59:00 AM
Organizational Unit: FRETH
Job Type: Non-staff opportunities
Type of Requisition: NPP (National Project Personnel)
Grade Level: N/A
Primary Location: Ethiopia-Addis Ababa
Duration: 12 MONTHS WITH POSSIBILITY OF EXTENSION SUBJECT TO SATISFACTORY PERFORMANCE AND AVAILABILITY OF FUNDS
Post Number: N/A
IMPORTANT NOTICE: Please note that Closure Date and Time displayed above are based on date and time settings of your personal device
- FAO is committed to achieving workforce diversity in terms of gender, nationality, background and culture
- Qualified female applicants, qualified nationals of non-and under-represented Members and person with disabilities are encouraged to apply
- Everyone who works for FAO is required to adhere to the highest standards of integrity and professional conduct, and to uphold FAO’s values
- FAO, as a Specialized Agency of the United Nations, has a zero-tolerance policy for conduct that is incompatible with its status, objectives and mandate, including sexual exploitation and abuse, sexual harassment, abuse of authority and discrimination
- All selected candidates will undergo rigorous reference and background checks
- All applications will be treated with the strictest confidentiality
The main aim of FAO country offices, which are headed by FAO Representative, is to assist government to develop policies, programmes and projects to achieve food security and to reduce hunger and malnutrition, to help develop the agricultural, fisheries and forestry sectors, and to use their environmental and natural resource in sustainable manner.
The NRM Expert will work under the overall supervision of the FAO Representative (FAOR) in Ethiopia, technical supervision of the Assistant FAO Representative for programme implementation, the direct supervision of the Animal Health and Production Team Leader in close collaboration with the FAO Representation in Ethiopia (FRETH) Programme Team and FRETH Regional Initiative Teams.
The NRM expert will be responsible for technical support of FRETH projects focusing on natural resources management and development with special emphases on water point’s rehabilitation and improvement in pastoral and agro pastoral areas as well as watershed and sustainable land management in mixed farming and agro pastoral systems within the regions of the country.
Tasks and responsibilities
The NRM Expert will be supporting in preventing disaster related emergencies, building resilience, mitigating impacts of disasters, helping rebuild food production and livelihood systems and assisting in ensuring water supply to livestock, flood mitigation and natural resource management related issues, with the following main responsibilities:
- Be responsible for all duties in relation to the NRM components of FAO Ethiopia projects (water resource development, watershed management, flood mitigation and range management) and related capacity building and policy aspects;
- Support the implementation of the FRETH sustainable land and watershed management and development work programme across all Regional Initiatives and Strategic Objectives, providing technical support to regional governments that will assist developing their capacity for introducing Good Agricultural Practices for sustainable land management intensification in the regions;
- Identify the NRM needs of the communities through field assessments, information collection and analysis. Assess the capacities of cooperating partners that could work with FAO in project identification, implementation, monitoring and evaluation of various projects at field level;
- Liaise with the various NRM directorates of the Ministry of Agriculture, (i.e. Natural Resources Management Directorate (NRMD, Regional State Agricultural/Livestock and Pastoral Development Bureaus, to identify NRM issues requiring FAOs support,
- Advice the Animal Production and Health Team on NRM, water resource development, sustainable land management (SLM), flood mitigation issues in identifying NRM activities to be included in new projects;
- Support Animal Production and Health Team on the formulation of DRM/emergency/recovery/rehabilitation projects and development programs especially those with emphasis on NRM issues;
- Ensure and monitor effective project implementation (work plan, procurement plan, notes for the file, field visits, monitoring, etc.);
- Contribute to the drafting and updating of all FRETH NRM related reports, occasional updates and any other documentation prepared, either for specific donors or generic bulletins/briefs;
- Lead the drafting of Letters of Agreements (LoA), related documents and other operational documents in support of FRETH Regional sustainable land and watershed, water points development and improvement projects and frequently monitor the implementation of such Agreements;
- Liaise with IOs, GOs and NGOs working in project areas as appropriate;
- Perform other related duties as required.
CANDIDATES WILL BE ASSESSED AGAINST THE FOLLOWING
- Candidate should be national of Ethiopia
- Advanced University degree in Agricultural Engineering, NRM, Watershed Management and Development, Water Resources or other related fields
- Ten years of experience in managing NRM related projects and programmes.
- Working knowledge of English and working knowledge of Amharic language.
FAO Core Competencies
- Results Focus
- Building Effective Relationships
- Knowledge Sharing and Continuous Improvement
- Extent of Experience in Emergency operations and NRM, water resources development and management projects, assessments and analysis.
- Excellent planning, organizing and scheduling skills
- Good Report writing skills.
- Excellent communication, writing and presentation in English and working knowledge of Amharic language.
- Experience in Emergency operations and NRM projects, assessments and analysis.
- FAO does not charge a fee at any stage of the recruitment process (application, interview meeting, processing)
- Incomplete applications will not be considered. If you need help please contact: Careers@fao.org
- Applications received after the closing date will not be accepted
- Please note that FAO only considers higher educational qualifications obtained from an institution accredited/recognized in the World Higher Education Database (WHED), a list updated by the International Association of Universities (IAU) / United Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organization (UNESCO). The list can be accessed at http://www.whed.net/
- For additional employment opportunities visit the FAO employment website: https://ift.tt/Eqvizxy
- Appointment will be subject to certification that the candidate is medically fit for appointment, accreditation, any residency or visa requirements, and security clearances. Subject to certain exemptions, vaccination against COVID-19 will in principle be required. Vaccination status will be verified as part of the medical clearance process.
FAO seeks gender, geographical and linguistic diversity in its staff and international consultants in order to best serve FAO Members in all regions.
HOW TO APPLY
- To apply, visit the recruitment website at Jobs at FAOand complete your online profile. We strongly recommend that your profile is accurate, complete and includes your employment records, academic qualifications, and language skills
• Candidates are requested to attach a letter of motivation to the online profile
• Once your profile is completed, please apply, and submit your application
• Candidates may be requested to provide performance assessments and authorization to conduct verification checks of past and present work, character, education, military and police records to ascertain any and all information which may be pertinent to the employment qualifications
• Incomplete applications will not be considered
• Personal information provided on your application may be shared within FAO and with other companies acting on FAO’s behalf to provide employment support services such as pre-screening of applications, assessment tests, background checks and other related services. You will be asked to provide your consent before submitting your application. You may withdraw consent at any time, by withdrawing your application, in such case FAO will no longer be able to consider your application
• Only applications received through the FAO recruitment portal will be considered
• Your application will be screened based on the information provided in your online profile
• We encourage applicants to submit the application well before the deadline date.
If you need help, or have queries, please contact: Careers@fao.org
FAO IS A NON-SMOKING ENVIRONMENT
To see job details and apply click: Apply Now