Addis Ababa, Ethiopia
Job Title: Safety & Security Coordinator – IPDHE
Job Purpose: To provide technical guidance and operational and programme support to project team, management and partners to ensure compliance with safety & security policies in line with donor expectations and the VSO volunteering for development approach. To build understanding and capacity for safeguarding with partners, CSOs and networks.
Technical support – Operational
- Map local service provision and existing referral systems in the programme delivery area to access and/or mobilise should a crisis occur.
- Develop agreements with key local service providers
- Update the risk register and mitigation measures (including relocation protocols) with detailed information and review and update risk register every 6 months
- Identifying additional PSS support to staff, volunteers and partners and refer within VSO
- Support project team to carry out mandatory due diligence assessments and provide partner support in building security capacities where necessary.
- Provide advice to project team on national laws and regulations relating to safety &security
- Collate, analyze and disseminate security & safeguarding information to project staff, volunteers and ensuring the information remains accurate and neutral.
- Ensure ongoing development and regular review of project safeguarding and security protocols.
Technical support – Programme
- Mapping and Capacity assessment of community level structures and systems (e.g. DRR, Peace Committees)
- Develop and deliver safety & security (and support on safeguarding) capacity building to community level CSOs as part of project implementation
- Accompany CSOs to strengthen their policies and practices
- Link CSOs into existing crisis response and referral systems both within VSO and existing community referral systems
Incident & Crisis Management Response
- Ensure timely escalation and management of, and learning from security and safeguarding incidents in line with VSO global policy & procedures
- Engage with existing local and national organisations/networks on case management
- Data, analysis & reporting
- Ensure effective auditing, accountability and report handling procedures related to the security system are in place and applied.
- Project team at VSO and partner’s project teams are inducted and provided with ongoing accompaniment and training on safeguarding & security.
- Fulfil other appropriate level responsibilities as defined by the line manager from time to time
- Demonstrable experience in safety and security in fragile, conflict affected areas.
- Undertaken safeguarding training
- Significant of experience managing safety & security in the context of humanitarian, development and peacebuilding programmes in Ethiopia. Experience of cross border/multi country projects an advantage
- Experience of safeguarding incidences and responses at an organizational level
- Experience of strengthening local community capacity on safety & security
- Practical experience of designing and delivering training and ongoing capacity building in security. Similar experience in safeguarding an advantage.
- Experience of working in a cross-cultural context an advantage
- Experience of working with volunteers an advantage
- Excellent communication skills with good command of both spoken and written English, Amharic. Fluency in Oromo an advantage.
- Ability to handle highly confidential information with tact, discretion, and sensitivity.
- Ability to develop, manage and maintain efficient systems and work under pressure.
- Self-motivated, ability to use own initiative and flexibility.
- Able to travel across project implementation sites and spend time away from work- base location and home.
How to apply
To see job details and apply click: Apply Now