Addis Ababa, Ethiopia
CTG Global Ethiopia
Vacancy id: VAC-7387
Job title: : VAC-7387 Truck Driver
Location: Different location in Ethiopia
Apply by: 31-Aug-2022
Start date: 01-Sep-2022
Duration: 1 year
Number of vacancies: 91
Qualification: Certificate in a relevant discipline. (desirable).
Sector experience: Minimum of 5 year/s of demonstrable relevant Transport experience (desirable).
Geographical experience: Minimum of 3 year/s of experience in Africa (essential).
Languages: Working level in English (desirable).
CTG staff and support humanitarian projects in fragile and conflict-affected countries around the world, providing a rapid and cost-effective service for development and humanitarian missions. With past performance in 17 countries – from the Middle East, Africa, Europe, and Asia, we have placed more than 20,000 staff all over the world since operations began in 2006.
CTG recruits deploy and manage the right people with the right skills to implement humanitarian and development projects, from cleaners to obstetricians, and mechanics to infection specialists, we’re skilled in emergency response to crises such as the Ebola outbreak in West Africa. The key to successful project delivery is the ability to mobilize at speed; CTG can source and deploy anyone, anywhere, in less than 2 weeks and have done so in 48 hours on a number of occasions.
Through our efficient and agile HR, logistical and operational services, CTG saves multilateral organizations time and money. We handle all our clients’ HR-related issues, so they are free to focus on their core services.
Visit www.ctg.org to find out more
Overview of position
Required to transport cargo in the form of both food & nonfood items in accordance with the procedures & normative guidelines, as established by our client.
Under the direct supervision of the Traffic Manager the incumbent shall perform the following duties:
- Perform a daily inspection of the vehicle, and trailer & ensure that they are mechanically sound & report any problems or defects to the immediate supervisor.
- Carry responsibility for truck allocated, cargo & provide assistance & guidance to those vehicles under the convoy.
- Responsible for telecommunications & usage of GPS, HF & VHF radio & communications to inform Traffic Manager of progress & position on an hourly basis.
- Responsible for all security issues that may arise & always decide safest option for the convoy & use careful judgment to ensure safe passage.
- In the event of breakdown or recovery, decide upon the best course of action to recover the vehicle in the safest & quickest manner without potential damage being caused by this exercise.
- Ensure that sufficient funds are available for offloading cargo where applicable.
- Ensure that the vehicle under direct responsibility is thoroughly cleaned & maintained in a good mechanical condition.
- Ensure that the vehicle logbook is duly completed on a daily & timely basis free from errors to maintain good records.
- Ensure that the vehicle is always fuelled on time & make sure that the fuel consumption figures are maintained within the established parameters as set by our client.
- Responsible to ensure that the cargo loaded at origin is safely transported to the destination free from contamination, losses or damage & held accountable for the same, will witness loading together with Tally Clerk & ensure signing & endorsing of waybill at the destination.
- Held responsible & accountable for vehicle, trailer & any tools or equipment given to the Driver (& signed for) & ensure that it remains in good condition.
- Loss or damage of cargo, spares, tools or equipment as well as loss of fuel in the care of the employee shall be deducted from the salary based on CIF value or local market rate, whichever is prevailing.
- This can also lead to penalties or dismissal to the personnel & penalties on the service provider or contractor.
- Ensure that the vehicle & trailer are loaded (metric tonnes) in accordance to the established payload of the vehicle & under no circumstances to exceed this limit.
- Cargo must be loaded uniformly & equally distributed for safety reasons.
- Drive always in a safe & responsible manner with due respect & attention to other vehicles, and property.
- Whilst the vehicle is in the workshop the Driver shall assist in repairs & maintenance activities as required.
- Any accident that may occur must be immediately reported to the supervisor & or other parties concerned.
- Driver will only travel to authorized destination & only load authorized cargo, under no circumstance shall deviate from this unless authorized by immediate supervisor.
- Manoeuvre a trailer at the duty station as required.
- Tow a trailer on missions as required.
- Will perform any other duties as requested by immediate supervisor.
This role works under the direct supervision of the Assistant Traffic Officer.
- Ensure that established route turnaround times (expressed in days/hours) & distances (expressed in kilometers) are within parameters set as well as respecting the established standard night out allowances, notwithstanding abnormal circumstances, such as security.
- Fuel consumption figures are maintained within the parameters set.
- Vehicle maintained in good mechanical condition, limited tire wear free from any breakages in accordance to standards set by the organization.
- Cargo loaded, securely & safely, transported from origin to destination in a secure dry environment & duly received in a good sound condition at the receiving location.
- Complete all vehicle administrative documents (vehicle logbooks, waybills) accurately & correctly & in turn, hand them over to Traffic Manager on a timely basis.
- Required to report on time for duty as per establish established working hours & sign the time sheet prepared for this purpose.
- Ensure that both loading/unloading times are kept to a minimum acceptable level & to report any abnormal waiting times.
Will liaise & cooperate with all other client employees & Cooperating Partners.
- Holder of valid, clean heavy vehicle driving license in accordance to the vehicle category assigned to drive in accordance to national regulations.
- At least 5 years minimum experience gained in the relevant driver’s license category.
- Trained to & experienced with driving with a trailer.
Qualified female candidates are strongly encouraged to apply for this role.
To see job details and apply click: Apply Now