Policy LINK – Communications Coordinator – Vacancy Ethiopia
Policy LINK – Communications Coordinator Vacancy in Ethiopia
Addis Ababa, Ethiopia
The five-year (2019 – 2024) Feed the Future Policy LINK project will strengthen the capacity of local actors and institutions to lead and manage the agricultural transformation process and contribute effectively and collectively to improved, broad-based food security policy outcomes.
Specifically, the program aims to strengthen food security policy systems by investing in and reinforcing productive human and social capital and developing strategic partnerships that help bring these innovations and capacity investments to scale in order to achieve a critical mass of local actors with the ability and opportunity to effect positive policy change through collective action.
Policy LINK’s general approach is grounded in facilitative leadership and collaborative governance, which emphasize engaging stakeholders from civil society and public and private sectors in consensus-oriented decision making, collaborative problem solving, and adaptive learning.
Policy LINK in Ethiopia
USAID Ethiopia is developing a five-year activity with the overall objective of supporting the Government of Ethiopia (GoE) and other policy system actors as they transition to a more inclusive policy development process. Specifically, the activity will facilitate the transition from an almost exclusively government-led and implemented policy development paradigm to one driven by multiple stakeholders.
This new approach to policymaking will require strengthening the capacity of Ethiopia’s main agricultural policy system actors and institutions and supporting them to engage in a new collaborative environment. This approach will lead to significant improvements in the policy process and the resulting policy environment. For example, there will be greater clarity around roles and increased participation in policy processes by stakeholders traditionally excluded from decision-making, including academia, financial institutions, the judiciary, CSOs and non-governmental organizations (NGOs), and private sector representations from the national, regional, and local levels. Under the new policy development paradigm, development partners will be expected to align their approaches to fit within this broader collaborative framework.
This approach will be underpinned by Policy LINK’s overarching theory of change focused on increasing human and social capital, engaging policy system actors in collaborative processes, and developing mechanisms for collaborative governance and dynamic learning systems and platforms to sustain collective action.
The activity will support the GoE objectives of inspiring sustainable agriculture-led economic growth, strengthening resilience among people and systems, and creating a well-nourished population, especially women and children.
This position will support activity communications, including engagement with local stakeholders and coordination with the Policy LINK global team on reporting and client and implementing partner communications.
- Support the preparation or review of draft documents (e.g., technical and workshop reports) to ensure quality and conformity with agreed templates, consistent with investor/donor/client requirements.
- Support and maintain good communication and relationships with program partners, consultants, and participants on matters regarding program activity, expectations, logistics, deliverables, timelines, and compliance requirements.
- Represent LINK in meetings and processes as required and appropriate.
- Ensure that program and activity team minutes, reports, resolutions, and action plans are compiled, shared and actions followed up.
- Collaborate closely with the global communications team to ensure that all components of communications plan are well implemented, including overseeing elements of the plan as the coordinator’s skill set develops. In this respect, s/he will interface with the broader communications team on behalf of the Ethiopia activity.
- Coordinate communications activities on the Ethiopia buy-in with the global Strategic Comms team, including through bi-weekly check-ins with the global communications lead.
- Think creatively to produce innovative ideas and concepts and support in the development of clear briefs and interactive design for communications products targeted at different audiences.
- In his/her role as an activity team member, support in the design and implementation of targeted communications mini strategies for reaching key people (e.g., government officials) as well as for reaching key audiences (community, CSOs, CBOs, etc.) which may involve a variety of communications mediums such as social/digital/mainstream broadcast and print/ community media etc.
- Work with the learning and knowledge management teams, and the IT and Knowledge Systems Manager to organize and manage production of digital events, including webinars and podcasts.
- Draft smart, engaging, and relevant regular content such as updates, announcements and blogs on the Ethiopia activity for the Ethiopia landing page on the Policy LINK website and activity pages on key partner networks as well as monitoring engagement.
- Create dissemination toolkits for learning and communications events and products.
- Support the Ethiopia team to compile, prepare and edit reports and publications.
- Draft content (eg. Press releases), for mass media and company website.
- Support in managing all project-related communications events and trips, assisting to coordinate all logistics, and ensuring that everything runs smoothly (including with internal and external actors) to create a good name for the project and ensure project visibility.
- Manage and regularly update a “media bank” of project activity photos, videos and texts, in line with existing guidelines.
- Master Feed the Future and USAID branding and work closely with the global communications team to ensure compliance with Feed the Future and USAID branding and marking guidelines for all communications products. including donor reports and project materials.
- Manage other tasks as assigned.
The Communications Coordinator will report to the LINK/Ethiopia Facilitation and Collaborative Governance Lead.
The Communications coordinator will not have supervisory roles though he may supervise consultants, vendors (e.g., for printing) and intermittent employees.
Education and Work Experience:
A minimum of BA/BSc degree in Communication, Journalism, English, or relevant field from a recognized university.
Minimum of 5 years of relevant work experience and proven engagement in:
- management of long-term, strategic communication activities.
- design of communications, press, and marketing strategies.
- oversight and design of multi-media platforms, including content development, for a combination of video, print, and social media inputs.
- designing and distributing marketing products.
- organizing, managing, and liaising with external organizations and press.
Familiarity with international development work and donor landscape.
Proven networking skills with broad spectrum of contacts with diverse target groups related to prior work experience.
Competent in graphic design principles and skilled in designing and producing basic layouts and graphics.
Competent in organizing, editing, and formatting reports.
Experience supporting fast-paced donor program; USAID experience will be an added advantage.
Professional proficiency in English and Amharic languages.
Ability to work with diverse and multi-disciplinary team.
Attention to detail and ability to prioritize and plan.
How to apply
Please submit applications electronically via this website: https://fs23.formsite.com/OLJTgx/PolicyLINK-Ethiopia/index.html?1660235020590
Candidates will be required to answer certain qualifying questions before uploading their CVs and cover letters to the application form for consideration.
Applications submitted between 12th August to 19th August2022 will be considered.
Only candidates who are shortlisted for interviews will be contacted. No email enquiries please.
To see job detail and apply click: Apply Now