Finance and Administration Team Leader Vacancy in Ethiopia
Addis Ababa, Ethiopia
Title: Finance and Administration Team Leader
Location: Gambella Office
Reports to: Support Services Manager
Start of Contract & Duration: 9 months with the possibility of extension
Posting date: August 24, 2022
The Danish Refugee Council (DRC), an international non-governmental organization (NGO), has been providing relief and development services in the Horn of Africa since 1997. DRC promotes and supports solutions to the problems faced by refugees, internally displaced people (IDPs), and migrants. The organization has offices across the region and has been operational in Ethiopia since 2009. With funding from bilateral and multilateral donors, DRC is currently implementing a range of activities across Ethiopia and Djibouti, including WASH and shelter provision, child and youth protection, gender-based violence response, awareness-raising of migration risks, protection monitoring of migration routes, and livelihoods support for returning migrants or those at-risk of migration.
The overall purpose of the role, responsibilities & tasks:
The Finance and Administration team leader will facilitate the efficient and effective financial and administrative management of the DRC operations in Gambella field office. The Finance and Administration Team Leader will ensure compliance with all DRC finance and grant compliance matters in close collaboration and guidance of the Support Services Manager and Area Manager.
S/He will be responsible for budgeting, financial planning, and reporting and be an audit focal point at the field level, for smooth functioning of the finance, as well as assuring linkages with other departments and country-wide. He will also be responsible for monthly bank reconciliation; monthly cash book closing and cash projection for the program for the smooth functioning of the finance operation in the Gambella field office.
RESPONSIBILITIES AND TASKS
- Ensures efficient financial monitoring and reporting (including monitoring expenses and revenues, reviewing and upgrading existing procedures, and ensuring the production of appropriate financial reports for internal and external clients)
- With support from the Support Services Manager in Gambella and the Finance team in Addis, ensures high-quality accounting (including overseeing day-to-day accounting, and managing the year-end audit process)
- Perform all DRC Gambella financial movements in accordance with DRC and donor’ rules
- Prepare and distribute monthly expenditures reports on project and program level, in supporting the program managers.
- Contributes to Master Budget inputs in collaboration with the Support Services Manager
- Responsible for the monthly financial review and BFU rebooking, quarterly and annual DRC and donor reports preparation at field level, supported by Support Services Manager
- Implement financial policies and procedures according to the DRC OH and the local law.
- Responsible for training and provision of support to program staff in understanding financial obligations and minimum requirements.
- Establish the cash requirements, and maintain adequate cash levels and related cash controls
- Produce bi-monthly reporting and reconciliations for the field office and ensure that monthly cash books are submitted to CO on time every month
- Ensures that the Gambella field office compulsory tax and social-security payments are made to all relevant government bodies
- Maintains proper filing systems of financial documents, scan and burn on CDs those monthly financial reports to be forwarded to CO.
- Maintains an electronic monthly cash book and performs daily and weekly cash reconciliation of cash book; Ensure that accounting records are kept updated, are reliable, and are maintained according to DRC accounting practices;
- Manages cash balances to ensure that sufficient balances are maintained for ongoing activities while preventing too high balances to avoid incurring high exchange rate charges.
- Update monthly staff payroll for deduction for advances, and keep track of clearing all outstanding;
- Supports payment to service providers, suppliers, and contractors, and clearance of advance of procurement team against a “Goods Received Note’’
- Ensures that all documents relating to financial transactions and donor contracts are properly filed in order to facilitate their retrieval and to safeguard DRC’s financial interest.
- Supports coordination and preparation of bi-Monthly cash requests in coordination with relevant program staff, forwarding it to CO in a timely manner.
- Reports immediately on all cases of financial mismanagement, such as theft, corruption, or non-adherence to DRC financial management rules.
- Supports the production of timely and accurate encoding of all financial movements and the preparation of monthly budget monitoring reports
- Work closely with the Support Services Manager in the monitoring of monthly financial reports/BFU for all grants and provide feedback to the program team or the management.
- Work closely with Support Services Manager on regular budget reviews (monthly, quarterly annually)
- Line managing the Finance Officer and Finance Assistant/cashier and conducting an annual performance review of the finance teams.
- Supervise the daily task of Finance teams
Administration and HR
- Line manages, finance, HR staff, support staff (cleaners, guards, drivers), or covering for supply chain, admin & HR tasks directly, where dedicated staff is under recruitment or resources are limited.
- Oversee efficient Human Resource management of both DRC contracted employees and incentive-based workers.
- Ensure full implementation and adherence to all DRC internal policies and procedures as well as local law regulations.
- Oversee staff Development plan and implementations.
- Oversee HR procedures based on the global people policy, including recruitment, development, performance, contracts, well-being, and people planning.
- Act as DRC Code of Conduct focal point, including training and implementation.
- Lead in the preparation of recruitment plan and oversee recruitment processes ensuring compliance with hiring procedures as outlined in the HR & Administration Manual
- Ensure and arrange formal inductions and orientation sessions for new employees
- Maintain recruitment tracking system and compile a monthly report on recruitment
- Maintain an updated job description database
- Oversee leave and R&R management, maintain leave tracking ensuring complete documentation for all staff movement
- Ensure the performance management system is implemented and completed on time
- Oversee all aspects of maintaining the DRC guest house, office compound, and DRC leased houses
- Perform other duties as assigned
All DRC roles require the post-holder to master
DRC’s core competencies:
- Striving for excellence: You focus on reaching results while ensuring an efficient process.
- Collaborating: You involve relevant parties and encourage feedback.
- Taking the lead: You take ownership and initiative while aiming for innovation.
- Communicating: You listen and speak effectively and honestly.
- Demonstrating integrity: You act in line with our vision and values.
Experience and technical competencies: (include years of experience)
- Minimum of 3 years of experience in finance and administration, preferably with an international humanitarian organization.
- Demonstrated organizational skills and ability to work in complex and difficult circumstances.
- High level of personal initiative, analytical skills, and proactive problem-solving.
- Demonstrated people’s management skills. Strong interpersonal skills and ability to develop and maintain working relationships across the organization. Be a team player
- Cultural sensitivity, commitment, and understanding of the values of DRC. Good interpersonal and communication skills.
- Commitment to learning and implementing organizational policies and procedures
- Proven ability to prioritize tasks and meet deadlines
- Proficiency in MS Office package is a must
- Previous experience in refugee and humanitarian context with International NGOs, UN agencies, line ministries, and/or local authorities in humanitarian settings
- fluency and capacity to write in English and Amharic are required
- Knowledge of local language Nuer or/and Anyuaa language (spoken) will be an asset.
- Cultural sensitivity, and commitment, and understanding of the values of DRC. Good communication skills.
- Proven ability to prioritize tasks and meet deadlines.
Education: (include certificates, licenses, etc.)
- Bachelor’s degree or higher in Business Administration, Finance, Accounting, or other relevant fields from a recognized institution
Languages: (indicate fluency level)
- Excellent proficiency in written and spoken Amharic and English
How to apply
Interested candidates who meet the required qualifications and experience are invited to submit an updated CV and cover letter explaining their motivation and why they are suited for the post.
We only accept applications sent via our online-application form on https://candidate.hr-manager.net/ApplicationForm/SinglePageApplicationForm.aspx?cid=1036&departmentId=19012&ProjectId=165553 under Vacancies.
Please forward the application and CV, in English through the stated website no later than September 7, 2022.
For general information about the Danish Refugee Council, please consult www.drc.ngo
Gender Equality: DRC is committed to achieving gender parity in staffing at all levels. In light of this, women candidates are particularly encouraged to apply to bridge the gender gap. Equal Opportunities: DRC is an equal opportunity employer. We value diversity and we are committed to creating an inclusive environment based on mutual respect for all employees. We do not discriminate on the basis of age, sex, disability status, religion, ethnic origin, colour, race, marital status, or other protected characteristics
We encourage only qualified Ethiopian Nationals to apply. DRC considers all applicants based on merit.
To see job detail and apply click: Apply Now