Research and Learning Specialist at International Rescue Committee Vacancy in Ethiopia
Addis Ababa, Ethiopia
International Rescue Committee
Requisition ID: req30111
Job Title: Research and Learning Specialist
Sector: Emergency Response
Employment Category: Fixed Term
Employment Type: Full-Time
Open to Expatriates: No
Location: Addis Ababa, Ethiopia
The International Rescue Committee (IRC) responds to the world’s worst humanitarian crises and helps people to survive and rebuild their lives. Founded in 1933, the IRC offers lifesaving care and life-changing assistance to refugees forced to flee from war or disaster. IRC has been working in Ethiopia since 1999 and is implementing coordinated, community-managed programs aimed at improving the quality of lives and recovery of livelihood of the disaster affected population, including host communities, through promoting individual participation, strengthening institutions, and emergency response.
The International Rescue Committee (IRC) is planning to implement a Multi-Sectoral Emergency support to conflict and natural disaster -Affected school children across the country funded by Lego Foundation Play matters (PM) Emergency Response Mechanism (ERM). PM ERM is led by the IRC and other partners. the program will provide Education in Emergency, WASH, Protection, Nutrition, and Health intervention at school. IRC is currently seeking a highly motivated, Research and learning specialist, who will take overall responsibility for support and build evidence and learning of PlayMatters ERM activities in conflict-affected contexts through both direct service delivery and partnerships. they will work closely with the ERM team and broader PlayMatters Ethiopia country and regional teams.
Reporting directly to the PlayMatters ERM Coordinator, PlayMatters ERM Research and Learning Specialist will strengthen the research and learning efforts, approaches, and systems to foster key program learning, support IRC’s global and measurement ambitions of the IRC Country Strategic Action Plan.
Leadership and Partnership
- Provide support and guidance on the research and learning functions and strategy for the PlayMatters ERM project.
- Provide support and advise to the PlayMatters ERM Coordinator in leading, design and implementation of research and learning system for the ERM project.
- Closely work with Senior Research Manager, Regional and Country MEAL teams and Partner Organizations in the identification, planning and management of research and learning activities and ensure key learnings are captured and documented and shared.
- Participate in regular research supervision and coordination meetings with PlayMatters regional research team and IRC’s Research & Innovation department.
- Support harmonization of Research and Learning systems and approaches, sharing capacity and experiences among partners.
- Act as focal point for the PlayMatters ERM project in the research and learning activities.
- Establish and facilitate learning platforms and sessions for IRC and partners and lead the overall learning process through capturing, storing, and sharing with concerned.
- Work closely with concerned departments on the need to promote learning in programming to ensure quality and adaptation.
- Guide and supervise the routines in the management of research and learning activities
- Design research and learning management database and ensure the minimum Research and learning requirementsas integral part of the project implementation.
- Develop research and learning tools and create awareness on its utilization.
- Provide capacity development to staffs/partners on research and learning system
- Ensure that learning is accessed and used as an integral part of programme implementation including specifically in the design or scaleup of similar interventions.
- Produce case studies, best practices; and lessons learned for internal and external use.
- Proactivity and ability to operate independently.
- Assist with completion of all administrative and logistical tasks related to organizing the IRC and partners PlayMatters ERM research activities and capacity building activities, in Addis Ababa and the target areas,
Other activities as assigned by the PlayMatters ERM team
- A University degree in a relevant field (such as: social science, research, public health, development economics, or a related subject area) – a technical degree together with additional relevant work experience may substitute for education.
- A Minimum 5 years of working experience in Research and Learning. With solid experience in Education and child protection, health and nutrition, Economic Recovery and Development (ERD), EH/WASH and emergency rapid response (ERR)
- Substantial prior experience in research and learning management and report writing.
- Technical skills in setting up quality Learning and Research management database/processes.
- Proficiency and experience with mobile data collection such as Kobo, Commcare, ODK Collect is vital as well as proficiency with Microsoft Excel, SPSS, STATA or other similar software. Knowledge of Tableau, PowerBi, or GIS software tools are additional assets.
- Experience in analyzing qualitative data using Dedoose, nVivo or other qualitative data analysis software.
- Demonstrated analytical, systematic-thinking, and problem-solving skills.
- Proven ability to transfer knowledge to diverse audiences through training, mentoring, and other formal and non-formal methods together with presentation and reporting skills are a strong asset.
- Self-motivated with good organization, planning skills, including prioritizing work and multi-tasking.
- Proven English Language proficiency and good communication skills.
At IRC – we are committed to creating a diverse, inclusive, respectful, and safe work environment where all persons are treated fairly, with dignity and respect. In keeping with our core values of Integrity, Service, Accountability and Equality, IRC strives to maintain a work environment built on mutual respect in which all individuals treat each other professionally, and free of bias, prejudice, and harassment.
We acknowledge and honor the fundamental value and dignity of all individuals. We are an Equal Opportunity Employer and consider all applicants on the basis of merit without regard to race, sex, color, national origin, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, marital status, veteran status, disability or any other human demographic.
To see job detail and apply click: Apply Now