Resilience Advisor Vacancy in Ethiopia
Addis Ababa, Ethiopia
GOAL is an Irish international humanitarian organisation founded in 1977 and currently operational in 12 countries working across the crisis to resilience trajectory. GOAL stands with local populations and actors to assist them to overcome crises and on the journey to longer-term solutions. For GOAL, crises are defined as when local systems are unable to respond or continue to function when confronted with shocks and stresses. GOAL works to understand these shocks and stresses; including conflict, climate change, environmental degradation, rapid unplanned urbanisation, weak or unstable governance, inequality and forced displacement all of which interact and threaten the health, safety and well-being of affected populations.
Description of the Role
The Resilience Adviser will drive the development of GOAL’s analytical and programmatic framework for Crisis to Resilience, aligned with global frameworks and based on evidence-based learning from operational programming. The Resilience Advisor is responsible for supporting GOAL’s global strategies, approaches and programming to incorporate a resilience lens i.e. analysis of risk, development of risk scenarios and design and implementation of programming that increases absorptive, adaptive and transformative resilience capacities. The Resilience Adviser sits within the global Programme Technical Team and is also part of the Innovation Lab and works closely with both teams. GOAL’s PTT supports the technical quality of programme design and implementation through developing strategy and guidelines, collaboration on new programming, support visits to country programmes, internal evaluations, documenting and sharing learning, and providing external technical representation.
The position is based in any GOAL country of operation in which the applicant has the right to work, with up to 20% travel to support Country Offices (COs) and represent GOAL with key stakeholders.
The PTT has four key objectives, detailed below and as they apply to this position.
Objective 1. Strategy and Design for Resilience
The Resilience Advisor contributes to GOAL’s global strategy and supports country offices to undertake resilience analysis of communities and systems and to use this for design and adaptive management of programming, coherent with global best practice.
- Guide global and country strategies relating to resilience, ensuring access to global best practice and evidence.
- Support the use of learning and evidence to develop GOAL’s resilience programming for sustainable change.
- Provide guidance and technical support for risk analysis, including for emergency preparedness & response.
- Engage technically with relevant external actors (including civil society, public and for-profit) in relation to resilience strategy development and programme design.
- Support the development of GOAL’s strategic partnerships globally in resilience e.g. with development consultants, conservation agencies, other civil society, INGOs, national risk management agencies, etc.
- Advise on GOAL’s influence in resilience globally.
- Advising on the development of GOAL’s analytical framework for Resilience (including the GOAL tools of ARC-D and R4S) and the rollout of these approaches across GOAL’s country programmes. R4S is a diagnostic tool for socio-economic systems with the aim of identifying how to strengthen their resilience. Ensuring that evidence is captured and used for future iterations of these tools.
Objective 2. Donor Positioning and Proposal Development
The Resilience Advisor works to position GOAL to identify, analyse and respond to funding opportunities and be able to develop strong technical proposals/bids which are coherent with both donors’ and GOAL’sorganisational global goals.
- Identify funding opportunities through technical networks and support analysis for go/no go decision making.
- Advise on the integration of the Crisis to Resilience approach in the development of new project proposals in coordination with the PTT and Innovation Lab and other departments e.g. Funding and Business Development.
- Lead/support the development of technical content for new proposals.
- Liaise with donor technical advisors and respond to technical queries from donors
- Engage with internal stakeholders on technical elements of funding opportunities
Objective 3. Quality Programme Delivery for Crisis to Resilience
The Resilience Advisor supports country offices to deliver high quality, innovative and adaptive programming, including in emergencies.
- Technical programme backstopping in Resilience
- Support COs in applying resilience tools, including GOAL’s tools ARC-D and R4S.
- Technical reviews and support on evaluations of Resilience programming
- Support country and global teams to use learning and best practice in adaptive management of Resilience programming
- In-country and remote technical support for emergency preparedness, anticipatory action and emergency response.
- Provision of training, mentoring and other support for country teams in specific areas relating to Resilience.
- Support teams in understanding the linkages between resilience, gender equality and social inclusion, and integrating these considerations in programming.
- Build capacity and support to COs in identifying appropriate modalities including cash and vouchers to integrate into programming in order to enhance resilience building outcomes.
Objective 4. Evidence & Learning
The Resilience Advisor will capture learning from programming and research and share internally and externally to contribute to the global evidence base and communicate GOAL’s programmatic innovation and successes, in collaboration with the Programme Innovation Lab (PIL) and MEAL.
- Supporting country offices to capture, document and share learning and programme outcomes.
- Identifying research questions and developing a global research portfolio.
- Technical representation & engagement with global Resilience networks including CVA, Climate Change and Environment Community of Practice; the Women’s Resilience to Disasters Community of Practice; and other relevant networks.
- Interpreting and reflecting on data for re-design & progress towards programmatic goals
- Undergraduate degree in a relevant subject
- Fluent English and ideally a second language (French, Spanish or Arabic). Both languages must be to a standard to allow drafting of technical documents.
- At least seven years of experience in INGOs or equivalent, at least five years of which is in resilience and/or Disaster Risk Reduction programming. Previous experience at Adviser level is highly desirable but not essential.
- Experience incorporating gender equality and social inclusion in resilience or disaster risk reduction programming, through integrated and targeted approaches.
- Ability to represent GOAL with donors, other INGOs, commercial entities and other external institutions.
- Experience in providing technical input to proposals
- Experience developing training materials and in running training.
- Skilled communicator and ability to work effectively across multiple cultures, including remotely.
- Ability and willingness to travel (up to 20%) including to places with difficult living conditions and insecure environments.
- Strong skills in MS Office. Skills in statistical software and graphics a bonus.
- Ability to work under pressure and continually reprioritise multiple tasks as a result of new information.
- Master’s degree
- A third language, ideally Spanish, French, Arabic or other language spoken in GOAL’s operational areas.
- Demonstratable knowledge of the potential of cash and vouchers to support resilience building
- Experience in field research and qualitative and quantitative techniques for collecting information (e.g. focus group discussions, interviews, etc).
- Demonstrate experience in writing articles and texts for professional publications
- Experience working with international agencies such as IDB, ECHO/ECM USAID, UN agencies.
How to apply
Please apply through the GOAL website at: https://www.goalglobal.org/careers/?vacancy=resilience-advisor-goal-locations&gh_jid=4507476
To see job detail and apply click: Apply Now