Research Officer I
International Food Policy Research Institute (IFPRI)
Environment and Production Technology Division (EPTD)
Addis Ababa, Ethiopia
REF : RO/IFPRI/26/22
The International Food Policy Research Institute (IFPRI) seeks to hire a Research Officer I for its Environment and Production Technology Division (EPTD) in Addis Ababa, Ethiopia.
IFPRI is one of the international agricultural research institutes organized under the CGIAR Consortium. The mandate of IFPRI is to identify and analyze alternative national and international strategies and policies for meeting world food needs in ways that conserve the natural resource base, with emphasis on low income and on the poorer groups in the countries. With a vision for a world free of hunger and malnutrition, IFPRI’s mission is to provide sustainable solutions for ending hunger and reducing poverty.
The overall purpose of the job is supporting IFPRI researchers within an agricultural and economic research environment and contributing to research design and empirical analysis of primary and secondary data in IFPRI’s research areas: ensuring sustainable food production; promoting healthy food systems; improving markets and trade; transforming agriculture; building resilience; and strengthening institutions and governance.
The Research Officer is expected to provide support to ongoing research activities on seed systems, genetic gains, seed policies, technology adoption, water-energy-food nexus, sustainable land management, and efficiency and productivity analysis
Main Duties and Responsibilities:
- Be a key part of a dynamic global research team leading a CGIAR initiative on Delivering Genetic Gains on Farmers’ Fields (SeEdQUAL)’s work package (WP) on “Policies for varietal turnover, seed quality assurance and trade in seeds”;
- Work closely with senior research staff to undertake the following tasks;
- Manage and conduct primary and secondary data collection on rural household, institutional, and value chain studies;
- Manage focus group discussions, key informant interviews, and other qualitative data collection tasks;
- Conduct statistical and econometric analyses;
- Write literature reviews, research reports, concept notes, and funding proposals;
- Draft, edit, and transcribe reports, manuscripts, proposals, and other documents;
- Organize seminars, workshops and other learning events;
- Assist in the preparation of reports and presentations, ensure timely and accurate dissemination of research findings to the relevant government authorities and donor agency;
- Communicate research findings to external audiences as appropriate;
- Any other responsibilities assigned by supervisor and/or management.
- Master’s degree in economics, agricultural economics, or related discipline
- Broad / specialized knowledge of methods, techniques and processes
- At least 3 years’ experience after Masters’ degree in a similar position
- Proficiency in using statistical packages like STATA, R, and SAS. In our working environment, STATA is most commonly used; knowledge of R would be a plus.
- Excellent quantitative analytical skills
- Thorough knowledge of Microsoft Office applications for word processing, spreadsheets; experience with graphics and data management
- Excellent knowledge of both written and spoken English
- Prior knowledge of GIS and remote sensing would be advantageous.
- Previous work experience on agriculture, genetic resources, water management, sustainable land management, nutrition, or energy-related research would be preferred
- Professionalism and integrity: Able to apply ethics, principles, standards and expertise in all areas of work; honest, above reproach, appropriate in actions and behaviors, and transparent in conduct
- Results-oriented: Able to recognize bottlenecks timely and identify solutions; able to meet agreed-upon deadlines and set goals; focused in all tasks.
- Travel: Ability and willingness to travel nationally and internationally as necessary
- Interpersonal relations: Good interpersonal communication and facilitation skills; able to work with and relate to others in mutual support and with respect towards common goals and shared vision; able to build and nurture strong and authentic reciprocal relationships; committed to non-domineering or patronizing attitudes and/or behaviors.
- Respect for diversity: Able to work effectively, respectfully, and inclusively with people from different backgrounds and with different perspectives is critical for all staff members.
- Communication: Able to express oneself, share and exchange information clearly and in a timely style.
- Innovation and creativity: Able to generate new ideas and ways of working to continuously improve existing work processes, practices, concepts
Duty Station: Addis Ababa, Ethiopia
Job Grade: HG 13
Monthly Base Salary: birr 31,979 (negotiable depending on salary history of the candidate)
Terms of appointment: This is a National Staff (NS) position, initial appointment is for two years with the possibility of renewal, contingent upon individual performance and the availability of funding. The ILRI remuneration package for nationally recruited staff in Ethiopia includes very competitive salary and benefits such as life and medical insurance, offshore pension plan, etc. The ILRI campus is set in a secure, attractive campus in Addis Ababa. Dining and sports facilities are located on site.
Applications: Applicants should provide a cover letter and curriculum vitae; names and addresses (including telephone and email) of three referees who are knowledgeable about the candidate’s professional qualifications and work experience to be included in the curriculum vitae. The position and reference number:RO/IFPRI/26/22 should be clearly indicated in the subject line of the cover letter. All applications to be submitted online on our recruitment portal:http://ilri.simplicant.com by clicking on the “Apply Now” tab above before 14 September 2022.
ILRI does not charge a fee at any stage of the recruitment process (application, interview meeting, processing or training).
To find more about IFPRI, visit our Website at http://www.ifpri.org/
To find out more about working at ILRI visit our website at https://www.ilri.org
Suitably qualified women are particularly encouraged to apply.
from EthioJobsLive https://ift.tt/2sw96c8