Deputy Chief of Party II– Northern Ethiopia Response Vacancy in Ethiopia
Addis Ababa, Ethiopia
As Deputy Chief of Party II, you will provide overall field management of the JEOP Northern Response program, and act on behalf of the Chief of Party as needed, including representation to the government/non-government stakeholders to serve the poor and vulnerable. Your management and technical knowledge will ensure the delivery of high-quality programming/operations and advance the position of CRS as a leading agency in humanitarian field. As a senior leader you will proactively manage security and mitigate security risks.
You will manage and represent Catholic Relief Services’ (CRS) activities operating through its fully operational sub-offices in northern Ethiopia to ensure implementation of high-quality programs serving the poor and vulnerable. You will ensure the development and effective management of operational systems and resources and the delivery of high-quality programming in coordination with the CRS Addis Ababa main office.
Note: Selected candidate will need to be approved by the donor.
- Master’s degree in International Development, International Relations or a relevant technical area.
- 7 or more years’ relevant management and technical experience.
- 5 years experience managing donor funds, including multi country grants. Strong knowledge and experience in budget management.
- Recognized technical experience and qualifications in sector as demonstrated by peer reviewed publications, conference presentations etc.
- Demonstrated experience of successful management, including management of functions of complex, high-value, multi-activity projects, with complicated logistics.
- Staff management experience and abilities that are conducive to a learning environment. Experience coaching.
Required Languages – English fluency.
Travel – Must be willing and able to travel up to 50%.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Strong strategic, analytical, systems thinking, and problem-solving skills, with capacity to see the big picture and ability to make sound judgment and decisions.
- Strong relations management abilities. Ability to relate to people at all levels internally and externally. Strategic in how you approach each relationship.
- Team leadership abilities with diverse/multi-disciplinary teams. Coaching skills.
- Proactive, resourceful, solutions-oriented and results-oriented.
- Experience engaging partners and strengthening partnerships. Knowledge of CRS partnership strategy a plus.
- Experience in MS Office package (Excel, Word, PowerPoint, Visio), Web Conferencing Applications, and information and budget management systems.
Agency-wide Competencies (for all CRS Staff)
These are rooted in the mission, values, and guiding principles of CRS and used by each staff member to fulfill his or her responsibilities and achieve the desired results.
- Continuous Improvement & Innovation
- Builds Relationships
- Develops Talent
- Strategic Mindset
- Accountability & Stewardship
Supervisory Responsibilities: JEOP PDP and field office manager, Commodity compliance office, Security officer, HR officer, logistic officer, Emergency manager,
Key Working Relationships:
Internal: JEOP Chief of Party (COP), JEOP Deputy COPs, Head of Progarms (HOPs), Head of Operations (HoOPs), Country Representative (CR)
External: WFP, regional government, IOM, Church partners, JEOP partners
***Our Catholic identity is at the heart of our mission and operations. Catholic Relief Services carries out the commitment of the Bishops of the United States to assist the poor and vulnerable overseas. We welcome as a part of our staff people of all faiths and secular traditions who share our values and our commitment to serving those in need.
Disclaimer*: This job description is not an exhaustive list of the skill, effort, duties, and responsibilities associated with the position.*
Note: All positions requiring residence or frequent travel outside their home country must undergo and clear a pre-employment medical examination.
To ensure the safety of our staff, our partners, and the people we serve, CRS requires that staff be vaccinated against Covid-19. CRS complies with all federal and state laws to allow for accommodations, as needed with supporting documentation. However, accommodations may limit the roles that candidates are eligible for based on role requirements (e.g., travel, meetings with staff, partner, donors).
CRS’ talent acquisition procedures reflect our commitment to safeguarding the rights and dignity of all people – especially children and vulnerable adults – to live free from abuse and harm.
CRS is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Catholic Relief Services carries out the commitment of the Bishops of the United States to assist the poor and vulnerable overseas. Our Catholic identity is at the heart of our mission and operations. We welcome as a part of our staff and as partners people of all faiths and secular traditions who share our values and our commitment to serving those in need.
How to apply
To see job detail and apply click: Apply Now